Wednesday, June 13, 2018

DAVIDSON CAKE BAKEOFF YEAR THREE


Well, it's that time of year again.
The Davidson Family Cake Bakeoff.
This is our third year and my sister,
Susan chose the cake.
Hummingbird cake
I had never tasted hummingbird cake,
and I had certainly never made one.
I have now!!!
I looked around the Internet for a recipe,
and found the traditional cakes were all
pretty much the same.
I chose to use the recipe in the 
1978 Southern Living magazine, one of the first times
it was introduced to American cooks.
The cake was easy enough although it took me
triple the time to bake because once again
I was using our toaster oven.
BUT THE FROSTING...
I literally thought I was going to 
burn the motor up 
on my Mom's harvest gold1970 hand mixer.
Two packages of cream cheese.
Two sticks of butter.
Two boxes of powdered sugar.
I'll be wiping cream cheese frosting off the walls
for the next three weeks.
It all came together
and was delicious.
And, by the way made a perfect
birthday cake for my Mom's 
89th birthday.

1 comment: