Thursday, June 13, 2019

LET THERE BE CAKE


Yes, it's that time of year again. 
 The annual
 Davidson Family
Cake Bake Off.


This year my sister in law, Pat picked the cake, a deep south
tradition, The Lane Cake.

Lane Cake was new to me so I went to Google.
When I read it was mentioned in Harper Lee's
"To Kill A Mockingbird",
well, that's all I needed to be
 ALL IN.

"To Kill A Mockingbird" is one of my
favorite books and defiantly my favorite movie.

"Miss Maudie Atkinson baked a Lane cake so loaded 
with shiny it made me tight"
Scout Finch.

There are many versions the
 Alabama State Cake,
I went with a traditional version.
When I printed off my recipe and found it was
four pages long,
I knew I was in trouble.
My recipe states this cake gets better the longer
it's stored in the frig, hence the shiny.
I used bourbon.

Day one was about baking the cakes.
Mine called for three layers.
It is a sponge cake and called for eight egg whites.

Day two made the filling.  
Eight egg yokes, sugar, raisins, nuts, flavoring, coconut,
and of course the spirits,
only a half cup.

Quite tasty, but even with just half a cup...
pretty strong.

Now into the refrigerator to do its thing
for at least two days and up to two weeks.
After that the frosting.


Day four...I couldn't wait any longer.
Today I made the boiled frosting, something
I've never done before.

I've also never used a candy thermometer
in fact I had to borrow this one from Susan.
This cake has been fun to make, I've had to step up 
and learn some new skills.
I'm not so sure about this boiled frosting...not sure how it 
should look or what the correct thickness is but
it is what it is.



And here she is!

The Lane Cake
You can find this recipe here
Father's Day is this Sunday and that's when I'll cut this beauty.
I'll let you know what everyone thinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment